Welcome to SuKupedia ♥

Hi There,

If you are a regular, you know what to do
Thanks for coming back ♥♥ If you are a first timer, you probably typed '10th wonder of the world' and google landed you here or someone just referred you to the 'most awesome blog'. Whatever the case, you reached the right place
Just click 'Enter' . On your left hand side you will see 'Blog Topics', click the topic you would like to read. On your right hand side you will know how to 'Follow' me and on the top you will see a 'Full Bio-data' of me and my blog, my awards, how to contact me and my community listings So, what are we waiting for 'HIT IT' ♥♥
ENTER

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cooking Challenge :) :)

Day # 3 of The Ultimate Blog Challenge... You can read my other posts for the Challenge here :)



So after the running race challenge and falling at someones feet challenge I have Cooking next on my platter here :) :)

Teaching how to cook is the most important training according to some mothers for their daughters who would be wives someday.  Somehow I think my mother never believed in this very strictly.  I mean she agreed that children should learn how to make food, but it was not limited to daughters alone.  Most importantly she tried not to force me or my sister into the kitchen.  We went in as and when we liked... my sister mostly to cook and me mostly to eat :D :D

We did not have all the fancy toys that kids have today to play with.  Me and my sister played the 'house' game often.  She was always the 'mummy' and me the 'papa'.  We used to play with empty containers of creams and powders or bottles as our kitchen utensils.  While the papa i.e me went to office, the mummy i.e my sister stayed at home and cooked.  So it was an understood fact that my sister would grow up into a wonderful cook, and I always feared my kids would go to her house to eat food.  Because even to save my own life I could not cook.  A simple thing like applying jam to a bread also turned out to be messy for me.

Image Courtesy: Google Search


Now there was this one time when my sister was in school and my mother was really ill.  Dad wasn't at home and the doctor had asked her to have her meds after lunch.  There was no elder around and my mother could not even get up from her bed.  I was 12 then.  I thought of making a little rice broth for mom.  I had seen mom prepare rice.  Put the rice and water to boil, once it boils take a spoon eat some rice and after 5 minutes drain the water and it was ready to eat.  I was intelligent enough to realise that I should not drain here because I needed the broth.  


So I went ahead and carried out all the steps and made the broth.  Woke up mom for lunch and gave her that broth to drink.  She was surprised and asked if there was someone else in the house or had dad returned.  I told her there was no one and I had made it myself.  She had the broth and smiled at me and hugged me and told me that the broth was excellent.  She should not have lied.  Because after that I was a riot in the kitchen.  Immediately the next day I made a tomato omelet a recipe I got from that day's Times of India Edition.  Proudly presented it to my dad and he ate the whole thing and said he had never had anything like that.  Mom had a piece, looked at my dad and said, 'You really love her' and laughed.  I happily skipped around.  As though that was not enough, I made some vegetable rice that weekend and shoved it down the throats of my friends.  I could see tears in their eyes, but I thought they were tears of joy :D :D

Image courtesy:  Google Search

The truth was that broth was uncooked.  The reason my mom ate some rice out of the spoon was to make sure the rice was cooked, which obviously I did not know.  That tomato omelet had everything in it except salt.  And both my parents had proudly finished whatever I cooked.  Result was my friends had to gobble down some super uncooked, tasteless vegetable rice :D :D :D

Two years later I went on to win a 2nd place along with one another student in a cooking competition organised by my school and even taught that recipe to my mother :) :)




I don't mind being stalked ... if you like what I write here please click the 'Contact' page and follow me to read more of my wor

46 comments:

  1. Your re-telling of events from your life in such uncomplicated mannner is facinating and very baffling. Your writing reminds me of what R.K.Narayans. You should explore the possibility of compiling all the stuff you write in your blog into a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why are you unknown??? this is a huge compliment :) :) thank you.. *flying high now*

      Delete
    2. Madam it is me rahul dhar

      Delete
    3. I thought this compliment could come only from an insider :D :D.. just try editing your profile...probably it would work

      Delete
  2. Awww I remembered all my disasters in the kitchen. In my case it was the hubby who had to tolerate. But I have improved now :P Amma gets surprised by what all and how much I cook
    Nice post SuKu

    ReplyDelete
  3. hehe Now that was funny! In my family, all siblings just got into the kitchen and learnt cooking by observation. Mostly we began with making maggie, toast and boiling eggs and later moved to bigger things. And yes even my brother cooked as much as sis and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confess Rachna.. for nuts i cannot make maggi...it is either over cooked or undercooked or burnt :(

      Delete
  4. wow! such a cute post! moms n dads are the only ones who can never break our hearts however bad the situation is! And at 12 you prepared rice n broth, commendable indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh ya.. at 12... and you have no idea how hard it was for my mom to keep me away from the kitchen for the mess sake :) :)

      Delete
  5. Ha ha ha SuKu ... you have to thank God you are so loved and that your fiends did not kill you and that you survived to tell the tale today :D :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehehehe yes Bhavya.. true.. they spared me :D :D

      Delete
  6. AM not much of a cook...I can cook only to save my life.

    Nice post for a memoir. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks glad u liked it :).. if you can cook to save ur life that means people can eat what you cook :D

      Delete
  7. Loved this post. Your style is effortlessly witty :)
    Moreover, husbands are supposed to bear with our experimentation. My husband is thankfully kind enough to shower praises on whatever I try to make, though I often suspect without even tasting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha.. without even tasting :D D:... thank you Reema :)

      Delete
  8. Well well....I suppose gone are those days.....as your husband really savours your cooking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has to be the most precious comment :D .. coming from the horse's mouth itself hehehehe

      Delete
  9. Kamaal ho Suku tum :D I love the simplicity of your posts :)

    I come from a family where my parents can cook really well and am married to a family where everyone cooks really well, including the husband who is an excellent cook. When I got married, I was so scared to cook because of the novelty of the place. But, now am an expert, how modest of me na? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks poo... same with me.. everybody in both my family is crazy about food.. eating and cooking both...:D :D

      Delete
  10. Don't we really love our Parents and friends Sunita... It's their love that makes us want to go and excel at something we thought we never could.. Thank you for this post..U wrote and revealed the mystery so well..Well Presented :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really made me laugh. My parents used to make some horrible stuff that we used to have no choice but to eat. I learnt in school, but I am very much a throw it together kinda gal and just hope that it turns out ok.

    You remind me of times when I would bring home my creations - I always remembered my dad saying my lemon meringue pie was better than his mums - I will never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha.. that is really sweet of you dad Jacqui :)

      Delete
  12. Terrific story. Your passion started very early.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol.. I think it was destiny too that put us together in UBC :) You're awesome u know and I love how your family ate all your food without complaining. I'm sorry but I would have burst your bubble.. Right now I can't cook to save my life :( and I live alone !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I have to admit I have a very generous family.. and my friends paid the price of their generosity :P :P

      Delete
  14. I love your story. Aren't parents the best people in the whole world??

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ofcourse they are :) :)...thank you for visiting Kathy :)

      Delete
  15. LOL!!
    I enjoy cooking... but, I didn't cook when I was a kid. The first time I made rasam - it was a disaster!! :D
    I learnt how to cook because of a school friend, he was/is an amazing cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All is well that ends well :D

    My kitchen disasters have been smaller "thankfully" :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was so hilarious. I especially liked the part where your mom told your dad that he really loved you, and of course the tears in your friends' eyes.
    You have a knack for relating your experiences in a funny manner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. kind of takes me back to my own childhood, me and my sister were also never forced to learn how to cook...and on one of my parent's anniversaries, we decided to surprise them by cooking....so cabbage went into the gobi ka paratha, and urad dal in the dal fry, it was totally, totally un-eatable!! but like u said, parents have this thing for the kids, they did manage to eat it still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahah... you guys are born chefs :P :P

      Delete
  19. Loveddddddd reading this. U r cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :D :D.. and thanks for following too :)

      Delete
  20. After those initial bumps, you actually won the 2nd place in a cooking competition?! That was some U-turn, girl! Your mom must have been super-proud of you that day! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow!! You started pretty early! I started cooking only after marriage. We had divided the household chores at my Mom's place, so my responsibility was to roll chapatis. But with a husband who is a chef by passion and loves to cook and eat great food ALL the time, I had no option but to get my cooking act right, fast! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no no that was only the start...after that i was banned from kitchen because of my extra ordinary cooking skills :D :D

      Delete
  22. In my house, I visit kitchen only to check what mom is cooking and that part of house was always avoided if possible. But after marriage there was no other choice. Poor John had to gulp down some of the salt-less, under/over-cooked food for a while. Now I have improved a bit:)
    That was really a sweet gesture to make rice broth for mom, at least you tried. No wonder your parents were moved by that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha... so John must have really lost lot of weight :P :P or either put on lot of weight because he must be eating everything out of love for you hahahahaha

      Delete

♥♥ Like it? Dislike it? Debate? Say it...it is always an encouragement ♥♥

Spread Luv ♥ Do Share ♥