Welcome to SuKupedia ♥

Hi There,

If you are a regular, you know what to do
Thanks for coming back ♥♥ If you are a first timer, you probably typed '10th wonder of the world' and google landed you here or someone just referred you to the 'most awesome blog'. Whatever the case, you reached the right place
Just click 'Enter' . On your left hand side you will see 'Blog Topics', click the topic you would like to read. On your right hand side you will know how to 'Follow' me and on the top you will see a 'Full Bio-data' of me and my blog, my awards, how to contact me and my community listings So, what are we waiting for 'HIT IT' ♥♥
ENTER

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Greed



Day #28 of The Ultimate Blog Challenge....You can read my other posts for the Challenge here :)


Chocolates... who doesn't love them right? well, atleast most of us do and about kids, I rarely find a kid who does not like chocolates.  So if I say that at the age of 8 I loved chocolates more than I do today, there is nothing too great about it.  So yeah, I loved chocolates a lot.  When I was 8 years old, in my class there was this girl called Poornima, whom I never befriended; reason - I hated the fact that she kept digging her nose. So it was always just a smile at her and during exams one all the best that's all.

One day, just before the school bell rang, I saw her elder sister giving her a 5-star chocolate.  Poornima tucked that in her lunch bag and went to her place and sat down.  I, immediately went and sat next to her.  The plan was to stick with her till lunch, and then have lunch with her, all the while hopeful that when she eats her chocolate she would share it with me!!.  (yes yes, the greedy me).  See till this part of the story it's fine.  I think most of the weird kids like me would have done this atleast once in their childhood.  So feeling greedy when you are a child is really an innocent notion of wanting to eat all the nice food like ice-cream, chocolates, pastries etc., But what happens when this innocent greed takes over your rational sense.  



Just before lunch time, Poornima opened her lunch bag because she had kept her pencil in that.  But when she closed the lunch bag the chocolate from her bag fell down and she did not notice it.  It fell close to her feet.  She would have noticed it, if she would have stamped on it.  I noticed it.  The greed in me did not allow me to tell her that.  I slowly with my leg pushed that chocolate backwards, so that she wouldn't really notice it.  Lunch bell rang and as usual everybody rushed out with their lunch boxes.  Poornima called me, but I said I will have lunch in the class.  After she left, I quickly picked up that chocolate and put it in my skirt pocket. Quickly gobbled down my lunch and ran down to the bushes which was near the compound wall of my school.  In the serenity of those green bushes and soft breeze, I relished that soft chocolate which was melting in my mouth.  That's how SINFUL it was!!! 

In the meantime, while I was busy devouring that chocolate, Poornima's elder sister (I don't recollect her name) who came to check upon her during lunch, found out that the chocolate was missing.  A big mission for hunting the lost chocolate was in process when I reached back.  I very innocently, battering my eyes (with the chocolate taste still fresh in my mouth) joined the hunters.  Ershaad, a friend of Poornima's sister then looked at me and asked 'You were sitting with Poornima no?  Did you see anyone take it from her bag?'.  I opened my mouth and said 'No, I didn't'.  In the evening when my mother came to pick me up, the watchman was asked to summon her to the teacher's room.  There the teacher told my mother, in front of me that I had STOLEN a child's chocolate!  I stood there shocked as to how on earth did the teacher know this  .  Apparently, Ershaad had smelled chocolate and seen chocolate all over my teeth when I opened my mouth to answer her.  When my mother heard this, she was so angry that if there was a thermometer placed on her hand it would have burst!!  

Nervous, scarred, embarrassed and shivering like a leaf when I reached home with my mom, dad was already present there.  All I wanted to happen now was, for me to turn into Mr. India... yes just disappear and not be seen by anyone .  The punishment was to be announced.  I was to take a chocolate everyday to school from that day for 7 days and give it to Poornima, in front of the whole class and hold my ears and say sorry, during lunch time.  You know what 'during lunch time' means? There would be no teacher and all my monstrous classmates would gather and make fun of me as I performed the 'sorry' ritual.  By the time I would reach home, there would be dried tears on my cheeks.  That was not all, whenever stories like, 'The Greedy Monster' or the 'The Greedy Barber' was being taught in any class, teachers were using 'my greedy story' as example (yes I had become very famous and attained a Celebrity status now).  

Then it all changed one day.  The same year, while I was coming out of the school library, I saw someone had dropped a packet of chocolates below the reading table.  You know how as kids for our 'Happy Birthdays' we carry a packet of chocolates to distribute it in the class no? yes it was a packet like that.  I looked at those chocolates, and immediately wondered, 'Why, why dear God do they always drop chocolates only in front of me?'  But I had learnt my lesson.  With a very heavy heart I picked up that packet, went to the library teacher and gave it to her.  After lunch, when our class teacher came in.  She called me at the podium and made me stand there, and looking at the class said, 'Children you know Sunita is a very good and honest girl.  Today she found a packet of chocolate and gave it to Gracy Miss.  You should all be like her, now come on clap for her'.  And the whole class clapped.  But that was not it.  She took me to every class and did the same.  When we reached my brother's class I was really happy.  Because he was also going through the 'Teri behen chor hai (your sister is a thief) syndrome' .  

Things got really good for me after that.  Till today I have not forgotten that event or the lesson I learnt.  'Mein aaj bhi ghire hue chocolates nahi utta thi ' (for my non-hindi readers, that's just a mock of a famous hindi movie dialogue).  

Greed makes you do things which you would otherwise never do.  It makes you drool in front of it and it makes you miserable.  Though you may feel happy for a little while, but as soon as you take another step it makes you want more and since you have already tasted it's success once, you know the pleasure.  But then someday you will finally see the end and hit rock bottom and then the same nice taste turns bitter and makes you want to puke out  Look at the picture below, Greed really has a chocolaty face, wonder if I was the inspiration 

Image Source:  Google search




I don't mind being stalked  if you like what I write here please click the 'Contact' page and follow me to read more of my work 

http://about.me/sukusapru

19 comments:

  1. Greed and chocolates go together. Loved your experiences with chocolates. I had a lesson called 'Chocolates' by Robert Lynd nad i had liked it. Your post brought back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh don't ask that experience was just like bitter choc...tasted better later :)

      Delete
  2. I don't like chocolate.. but I love the lesson in this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahah you don't like chocs??? :D :D good gal..

      Delete
  3. From a chor to a superhero! Way to go SuKu! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful Lesson.. and so beautiful the way you retold your story!!!! U are my Champion, Suni.. Next Time I will picturize your blog as the good Angel in my head ^~^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a nice story. And since you were young, it was more cute than greedy. But yeah, lessons learnt early are lessons learnt best. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kanthuuuuuuuuuuuu now it sounds cute..that time it didn't :( .. but yeah it was a lesson well learnt!

      Delete
  6. Awwww the chocolate greed should not be considered. Also pizza greed. And what a trick man for you the picture of the woman has chocolaty skin :P a stark reminder of your infamous childhood :D :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling you this picture was really made for me :P :P

      Delete
  7. Please pardon me for thoroughly enjoying the post :-D. But on a serious note, It's small things like these, which we learn in our formative days that help in shaping the individual we are today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so you laughed at me eh? :(

      I agree what you said.. i am not greedy any more :P

      Delete
  8. I am still laughing at the choclatey , I mean filmi dialogues you shared here!! :D A 'sweet' lesson indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahah yeah that was a good attempt no :P

      Delete
  9. Haaye..now I want to see how SuKu looked at that age so that I can imagine the look on your face back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it looked like one brown balloon with water droplets on it :D :D

      Delete
  10. Your narration reminded me of the Enid Blyton school series! :D

    Some school you went to. I don't remember anybody ever being punished for stealing stuff from other kids in my school... at least in my class. And it surely wasn't because nobody stole anything!

    The women in all these supplementary pictures may be "sinners" but their gowns sure are gorgeous! [Drools]

    ReplyDelete

♥♥ Like it? Dislike it? Debate? Say it...it is always an encouragement ♥♥

Spread Luv ♥ Do Share ♥