Welcome to SuKupedia ♥

Hi There,

If you are a regular, you know what to do
Thanks for coming back ♥♥ If you are a first timer, you probably typed '10th wonder of the world' and google landed you here or someone just referred you to the 'most awesome blog'. Whatever the case, you reached the right place
Just click 'Enter' . On your left hand side you will see 'Blog Topics', click the topic you would like to read. On your right hand side you will know how to 'Follow' me and on the top you will see a 'Full Bio-data' of me and my blog, my awards, how to contact me and my community listings So, what are we waiting for 'HIT IT' ♥♥
ENTER

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Ready to Eat Gravy

Day #17 of The Ultimate Blog Challenge...you can read my other posts for the Challenge here :)

♥♥♥ Dear Readers, today before we move to reading the post, I have a very very personal request to make.  My blog has been nominated for the Indiblogger's Awards.  Readers' comments and testimonies go a long way in deciding the shortlist.  You have been here always reading my posts and showering my writing with your love.  Your comments are the spirit of this blog and my writing.  May I please request to click this link and leave a few words of appreciation there for my blog.  You can comment using your facebook, and it will take only 2 minutes of your time.  I really really hope to see your wonderful comments about my blog there.  It's a big thing for me... And also if you could share that link on your Social Media Pages I would be obliged...Thank you very much in advance ♥♥♥


I watched the movie Bhaag Milkha Bhaag yesterday... and what a lovely performance Farhaan Akthar has given!!  In the end the crowd cheered with a loud clap and obviously I was one of them .. Prasoon Joshi has always been a personal favourite of mine and he has done complete justice to this real life story.  Today I am watching Fukrey and so far I like it and just then I remembered OMG I have not written today's post.  Yes this I remembered when the boys in the movie were feasting on Chole Bature!!

So yesterdays recipe was a quick one and I am so glad you guys liked it.  Remember what I said, I am only trying to help out with recipes and techniques to help you with those extra loaded days.


When we were young, my mother always had a bottle of pickle and curd stocked away in the fridge.  So at times when she did not feel like cooking hot rice with some ghee on it with pickle and curd used to be served.  And how we loved it ♥  Just borrowing that technique from her, I also have something stocked in my fridge always just for those lazy curly days.  

Today I will share a simple gravy recipe which can be stored and used when you like.

Step 1:  Blend tomatoes, onions, ginger & garlic in a blender

Step 2:  Heat some oil in a pan, temper it with cumin seeds and pour the tomato mixture in that.

Step 3:  Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt (Optional: Chicken stock cubes). Cover and cook till oil starts leaving the sides of the pan

Step 4:  Cool and freeze in small freezer bags.

I have not mentioned the quantity because that really depends on how long you want to store.  I usually make small 3 bags and store it for a month.

I freeze this mixture in small bags because that way when I need I don't have to defrost the whole thing.  I just take out one bag and defrost it and use.  

Defrosting is also quick, just place the bag in a hot bowl of water.  Change the water once or twice and then the mixture is ready to use.  

Add this gravy to absolutely anything; mix it with rice and add some boiled eggs and make a quick pulav or fry vegetables and add this gravy and have it with bread or roti, or just boil eggs and put in this gravy and make a super egg curry.  Just last week I used this mixture to prepare chicken.  Fried chicken in a pressure cooker for about 15 minutes then poured this mixture over, checked the spices and after 1 whistle, there was a fantastic chicken curry ready to be eaten with hot rice.  

P.S: Today Ritchie made a superb Butter Chicken, no no not using my instant curry, but using all the proper techniques, must have taken him hours.  Even when the chicken pieces were placed in the oven tray they were so well placed in line (unlike me who just scatters in on the tray)...no wonder he does magic with food...because I am sure even the food he handles loves him back ♥


I don't mind being stalked if you like what I write here please click the 'Contact' page and follow me to read more of my work 

http://about.me/sukusapru

28 comments:

  1. Love the tomato gravy recipe SuKu! It's quick, easy and a great way to use all the end-of-season tomatoes from the garden.

    Come winter, when the stores only have icky orange-looking tomatoes, the flavor (and color) of this gravy will pop.

    Can also tweak the recipe some to add garlic and basil for more of an Italian feel.

    Thanks!

    Sandy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandra... yes yes the garlic and basil works perfectly fine ... this sure is a good way to use up all those remaining tomatoes :)

      Delete
  2. This one is really helpful for the times we go hiking and come back with tired muscles. Good one SuKu. I am definitely going to try this out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poo this is like a must have in my fridge... really so helpful at times I tell you... try what Sandra commented.. adding basil and garlic.. very good for Italian dishes too

      Delete
  3. Hi Sunita,
    I don't have a facebook account. Is there no other way of expressing appreciation of your blog for the indibloggers nomination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( no Kaneenika.. facebook seems to be the only way... :(

      hey but it's ok.. don't sweat.. your vote is precious and I know you love my blog...so never mind if you cannot comment on that site ok ♥♥♥

      Delete
  4. This sounds amazing!!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy it tastes even better trust me.. and such a quick fix at times..

      Thank you very much for commenting on my link Kathy.. appreciate it ♥♥♥

      Delete
  5. Stocking gravy is a nice idea. Have never done that. It simplifies life in kitchen! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes and this is tried and tested by SuKu .. go ahead :D :D

      Delete
  6. yumm!! its helpful for folks like me who cook mostly only on weekends :) thanks suku... this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. weekend cooking? then you should surely try this.. i discovered this when at a time I was also doing only weekend cookings :D :D

      Delete
  7. ooh! This is a good one and very helpful.
    Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED YOUR RECEIPE . curd and pickle, I still have it in my fridge always and a hot steaming rice with ghee and pickle is yummy. and when rice turns cold add curd and the gravy of the picle. lovely

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your recipes with us. I will try this when I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes when you have lot's of time and use it when you don't have any time.. nice idea no :) :)

      Delete
  10. ideal when Im planning to leave hubby alone for a few days....and hop over to mom's.. storing this recipe for future use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. atta gal princess :) :)

      Thank you very much for your comment on the award page princess ♥♥♥

      Delete
  11. Sounds easy peasy!!! But my In Laws only like fresh food so I cannot save it beforehand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( oh.. waise eating fresh is a good idea.. but for lazy bumps like me this is a shortcut.. but do try this out with some veggie or chicken if you are a non-veggie

      Delete
  12. The idea is good. But then will it remain alright for long? Because tomatoes often make things more citrous and tend to add that acidic tinge to flavour?

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Richa it remains for that long.. because one it is cooked second it is frozen... yes it does add citrous flavour...but if you are worried about the acid then just add about 2-3 spoons of sugar... it won't make it sweet but will stablilize the acid...

      Delete
  13. *Wipes off Drool from her chin and Keyboard* I am going to try this one out for sure but I have the same Query as Richa. Loads of Love..Keep it coming :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahaha give it a try and you will love it... nahi don't worry it stays for about a month.. and as I said just add 2-3 spoons of sugar to cut down the acidity ok...

      Delete
  14. Hey this is our normal Indian gravy, right. The one we use with aloo dam and all sorts of things! I had no idea we could freeze it for a month! Wow! That's just totally brilliant! That makes life sooooooo easy for me! I love you for sharing this with your blog buddies!
    UBC Day 17 - "A Decade Of Blogging"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it is similar...but then in that gravy we add some garam masala and other spices also no... this would be just a simple gravy... yes we can freeze it.. and use it as required.. nice idea no :D :D

      Delete

♥♥ Like it? Dislike it? Debate? Say it...it is always an encouragement ♥♥

Spread Luv ♥ Do Share ♥