Welcome to SuKupedia ♥

Hi There,

If you are a regular, you know what to do
Thanks for coming back ♥♥ If you are a first timer, you probably typed '10th wonder of the world' and google landed you here or someone just referred you to the 'most awesome blog'. Whatever the case, you reached the right place
Just click 'Enter' . On your left hand side you will see 'Blog Topics', click the topic you would like to read. On your right hand side you will know how to 'Follow' me and on the top you will see a 'Full Bio-data' of me and my blog, my awards, how to contact me and my community listings So, what are we waiting for 'HIT IT' ♥♥
ENTER

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sweet Dish


Day #21 of The Ultimate Blog Challenge...You can read my other posts for the Challenge here :)




Oi so SuKu's Fast Food Buffet has reached its last day. Huh? you forgot today is the last day of the food theme?  So what better way than to end a buffet with a sweet dish...yes people it is dessert time 

Now this dessert also has a sweet story to it... My mother hates to waste anything related to food.  She does not believe in hoarding her fridge with stuff.  She just buys what she needs in the kitchen (though sadly dad always complained that this rule does not apply to her wardrobe).  We were never allowed to stuff our plates with food.  We had to take little, finish it and then take more if we needed.  If ever in her fridge there was one of each vegetable left by the end of the week then for sure we would have vegetable rice for Sunday lunch.  

Now second part of the story.  I hate milk.  Absolutely hate milk and I would really like to say that there is a special place reserved in hell for people who force anyone to drink milk in the name of nutrition and health, but I wouldn't say that because I really really love my mother, my MIL and my husband ♥.  And my dad is the coolest, he would just finish my glass of milk and give the empty glass to me♥♥ (yeah partners in crime). Now let's combine both the stories.  


I hate Milk - My mother hates wastage - One fine morning 2 litres of milk just split in the vessel
My reaction 

My Mother's reaction 

But no prizes for guessing who won, my Mother ofcourse!! Even though that she was cursing the milkman she was very determined not to waste that split milk.  So this is what she did

Step 1:  Added some lime juice to the split milk to give it a tangy flavour

Step 2:  Drained away all the water and fried the whey on a medium flame in some butter, sugar & cardamom powder

Step 3:  Shoved it down our throats

The Result:  We loved it... OMG we completely loved it!!

After that every morning I would wait and watch with bated breath for the milk to boil and when I saw it rising up to the boil without splitting, I knew whoever said God hears to children's prayers was kidding

Two weeks later one aunty was talking to mummy and was complaining how when that morning the milk she was boiling split.  I quickly jumped in and said, 'Aunty what did you do with it, please give it to my mummy, she will make mithai for us'.  My mother just continued to talk to that aunty pretending that I did not even exist in that room, she completely disowned me!! 

PS:  My mother's till today is a traditional Kerala Kitchen so the thought of making paneer never occurred to her.  



I don't mind being stalked   if you like what I write here please click the 'Contact' page and follow me to read more of my work 

http://about.me/sukusapru

20 comments:

  1. I love you more SuKu because you hate milk as much as I do. :) But, like you said, even I love the sweet they make with the whey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. believe me Poo as I am writing this comment it is 5 in the eve and the milk which i was supposed to have in the morning is still here next to my bed :( .. especially if you are sick.. everyone is shoving milk down your throat O_O

      Delete
  2. How do you add all these smileys in your posts? The two in the beginning... of your reaction and your mum's reaction... were too good! :D
    I make paneer whenever milk splits, and then we have paneer snack toasts... yummm! I love them! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a lot of paneer.. I don't remember the last time we bought paneer from outside.... but mummy is a typical keralite no so the idea of paneer is very very rare in our house...

      smileys are just copy paste ya O_O

      Delete
  3. I make this too and it tastes simply heavenly!
    Your father's drinking of milk on your behalf reminded me of my father doing chores for my sister We were responsible for some of the household chores. As she was a late riser, my mother's boiling point would increase with every passing minute. To avoid all the early morning drama, my father did her allotted work. Fathers are gem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hai na it is very tasty :) .. and yes fathers are the best ♥

      Delete
  4. Mother's have this knack to never let anything go waste!!!

    I must be one odd person in the whole world who loves milk!!! my mom makes this too..and though we don't add butter, the sugar and cardamom goes in and we like it when its a little brown in colour( not burnt) but just about to caramelize! and it tastes yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's ok to like milk.. but don't force others to drink it ok O_O

      yeah we too like it a little brown :) .. infact once I get up from this bed I am going to make it I think :)

      Delete
  5. That is a new recipe.. I think I will have to purposefully spoil the milk tomorrow ;)
    But yeah, we usually make paneer when the milk splits at home... and my bro, he just loves paneer :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your mom sounds so much like mineee :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the moms are just cloned Ritu :D

      Delete
  7. lol!! My MIL is like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah she is also mother no.. they are all alike i know :D

      Delete
  8. Haha recipe aside its your story of childhood which has me more hooked onto. "Aunty give it my mother"oh my gawd :D :D and of course with you dancing and your mother screaming that must have been a sight :D :D

    Richa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heheheeh.. i cannot believe too i seriously asked someone to give their spoilt milk to us :P

      Delete
  9. In love with the way U write, Suni!!!!!!! That was a visual treat to read :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow!
    I didn't know you could make sweets out of split milk!
    I love milk, but not the malai or when it splits!!

    your narration made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should try this out really... it tastes very nice.. especially when it a little browned a the little princess above mentioned :)

      thank you .. glad you like the post :)

      Delete

♥♥ Like it? Dislike it? Debate? Say it...it is always an encouragement ♥♥

Spread Luv ♥ Do Share ♥