|Image Source: Google Search|
That question, how much for a kidney? though sounds gross to many of us out there, is a life saving question to someone who is on dialysis. There are lot of people out there who would happily give away one of their kidneys or part of their liver to someone so that they can live normal lives. Such people do this act without taking any money. But percentage of this clan is really small. Though organ trade is illegal, it is carried out on huge scale everywhere. Yes a lot of noise about this was made, when the ex chief minister of Maharashtra died because of liver failure. That is the sad state of our country that only if an influential person dies, noise is made and a common man's death would go un-noticed.
I want organ trade to be legalised for a lot of reasons. Please note I am not talking about organ 'donation', donation is something you are very much allowed to do. But even a donation process requires months of paperwork, and all that while the patient and his/her family is left on the mercies of the red tape bureaucracy. So before you stone me, for saying that I would like Organ Trade to be legal, please hear out the reasons.
1. Currently organ trade is illegal, but that does not mean there is no 'sale' of these organs. What would you do if God forbid, your child, spouse or any loved one lands up in a situation where they require a transplant? Well according to whatever knowledge I have, I think you will run helter skelter looking for that organ. In that situation when someone appears and says they will give your child the required kidney but for a 'sum of money', will you accept it or stand there and deliberate the legality of it? My guess is you will just accept the guy's offer and the whole process will go on smoothly. It will be shown on papers that the guy is 'Donating' his kidney only out of 'Good Will' and not for any return favour in kind or cash. There goes the whole legal system down the drain.....but can you blame anybody?
A legal system will crush this illegal system and our judiciary will not be a joke in the face of a calamity
2. Now after the whole process of your loved one saved by this person's kidney, what if you don't pay up? Since the whole process was deemed and mentioned on papers as a 'Donation' process I don't think the donor can go and file a complaint. It will be like he has taken part in something illegal so he has no protection. This is my understanding, but if you know of some other remedy available for the donor, do leave it in the comments below. I know that in most cases the donor takes the money before hand, so that he/she is not duped, but what if the donor turns his back after taking the money? This whole system was illegal, where do people go for justice?
A legal organ trade will avoid such complications.
3. Have you seen those movies, where a patient goes in for a simple surgery and later discovers that his kidney is missing? Then the hero comes in and discovers a whole organ 'scam' in a hospital? These movies are inspired by real life. If you don't believe me then read this incident which happened just in May this year. Thousands and thousands of cases like this have been registered. I don't know how many got justice. And for that matter, the only way justice can be provided is by returning their loved ones, but that is not possible because they are already hacked to death....so what justice are we talking about here???
A legal organ trade will be more transparent and in the long run remove the organ scam from our society.
Image Source: Google Search
When an illegal system flourishes and creates a threat to the society then in my opinion it is best that Organ Trade is legalised. But this legalisation though many have demanded may not happen in the near future, until then it is best that we donate our organs. If you are reluctant to donate, probably the below questions will help you
1. If you have a spare piece of chicken left on your plate, would you rather throw it away or give it to a street kid who has been hungry for 2 days? After your death, you alongwith your organs, will be burned, buried or fed to the vultures. Think how much more happiness it would give someone to have your organs and live their life and enjoy the universe that God has created.
2. We don't have to wait till our death to help someone. What if an opportunity arises and a friend needs a kidney or some other organ or tissue which can be transplanted and we can still be healthy? Will you be able to bring yourself to offer help? I will for sure, because when if my child or spouse or any loved one is in need I would want someone to help so yes I will help. I cried my heart out when I was advised not to donate a kidney because of a medical condition I have. So I went ahead and shared it on my facebook if someone could help my friend and also requested people to share it on their wall. Yes my personal facebook, which only has family and friends, you know how many shares that status got....just 3 and no one replied. But if this was Kareena Kapoor in bikini or a child who is lost or a latest gadget or some stupid shitty joke, it would have got 1000 shares. As I write this I am so much filled with anger again. For about a month I could not bring myself to talk to any of my friends or family. Such is the world we live in, don't you want to be that one person in a million who will be able to do something in a stranger's life?
3. Today is World Organ Donation Day, if you are someone like me who believes in organ donation then please create awareness. Write about it, blog about it, talk about it in your tea sessions, together we all can make a difference. Remember no matter what astrologer you consult, you have no idea what is coming your way, I pray that you never need this in your life, but if you do then you would wish that more people were aware of organ donation. I have done my part, I hope you will do it too ♥♥
I don't mind being stalked if you like what I write here please click the 'Contact' page and follow me to read more of my work